Friday, September 14, 2007

Immigration Lawyers Workshop, 9/14/07, Penn Valley Community College

Despite three false fire alarms, we had a very informative gathering, and well-attended. Angela Ferguson presided and prepared all/most of the handouts, and introduced the speaker, Carlena Tapia-Ruano, immigration lawyer from Chicago (past president of the national American Immigration Lawyers Association).

I handed out my little flyers and got a correction for my Spanish on one of them, from a young bilingual attorney. And an attorney from Lawrence said she would pass along my flyer to a reporter on the Lawrence Journal World who had asked her for infomation for a blog he is doing on immigration issues.

I met a third-year law student from UMKC who has worked with Angela in refuting anti-immigrant positions of UMKC law professor Kris Kobach.

I met Suzanne Gladney for the first time, having heard her name in various discussions, for years. I felt so dumb that I didn't know instantly who she was. But now I do!

No comments: